LLRISE - A STEM Summer Enrichment Program
What is the LLRISE program?
The Lincoln Laboratory Radar Introduction for Student Engineers (LLRISE) program is a summer workshop teaching 18 students how to build small radar systems. This summer STEM program is a FREE two-week residential project-based enrichment program for outstanding students currently in their junior year in high school. This workshop is typically held the end of July. In 2017, the workshop will be held July 9–22.
What will participants do?
Students will gain an in-depth experience in building small radar systems. Participants will be challenged to build a Doppler and range radar by using creative problem-solving strategies. This hands-on program allows students to work in a state-of-the-art laboratory with highly talented scientists and engineers.
Where is it held?
Instruction is provided at MIT Lincoln Laboratory in Lexington, MA, by Laboratory technical staff and undergraduate and graduate students from MIT. The participants will reside in an MIT dormitory for two weeks during this camp.
What is the cost?
This program is free and includes room and board. Students will provide their own transportation to and from the MIT main campus at the beginning and end of the program. Transportation will be provided each day from the main campus to Lincoln Laboratory, returning to the main campus at the end of the each day's program.
To be eligible:
- Be a U.S. citizen (foreign citizens who are permanent residents are not eligible)
- Have completed or will complete physics and pre-calculus by end of junior year
- Be passionate about science, math, and engineering
- Be completing your junior year in high school
Application dates for 2017 Workshop:
- Student application postmarked by March 31. Or apply online by March 31.
- Official high school transcript postmarked by April 7
- Copy of standardized test score (PSAT, SAT I, SAT II) postmarked by April 7
- Two teacher recommendation forms (one from math teacher, one from science teacher) mailed by teacher or student, postmarked by April 7
Important dates for 2017 Workshop:
|March 31, 2017||Application deadline. Submittals through regular mail should be postmarked March 31 or earlier. Scanned and e-mailed submittals should carry a date of March 31 or earlier. (Online application form will be available in January.)|
|April 7, 2017||Supporting material (transcript, test scores, and recommendations) mailed to MIT Lincoln Laboratory. (postmarked April 7 or earlier)|
Admission decisions sent via email to accepted and waitlisted applicants only.
|July 9, 2017||First day of program. Arrive at MIT campus.|
|July 22, 2017||Last day of program. Depart MIT campus.|
Items can be mailed to:
- MIT Lincoln Laboratory
- Communications and Community Outreach Office
- Room S3-106D
- 244 Wood Street
- Lexington, MA 02421
or scanned and e-mailed to:
Contact us at LLRISE@LL.mit.edu and refer to LLRISE program
top of page